The School Enterprise Challenge is a student-led business start-up awards programme for schools around the world. The School Enterprise Challenge is a global business planning awards programme run by the educational charity ‘Teach A Man To Fish.’ It aims to create globally aware, socially responsible, young entrepreneurs.
This free programme guides and supports teachers and students to plan and set up real school businesses. Students develop essential skills in business and entrepreneurship in a practical, fun and innovative way. The Challenge also helps schools generate extra income for their school, or a social cause of their choice.
Schools have set up an amazing variety of businesses. In 2016, 5265 schools from 106 countries participated in the Challenge and their businesses ranged from fly fishing in Belize, to an inter-schools newspaper in India and a car wash in South Africa.
The programme is FREE and it helps students plan and set up school-based enterprises that:
- Generate real profits to help support their educational activities.
- Give students the chance to gain hands-on experience of running a real business.
- Are sustainable, and will grow and develop every year.
How does it work?
The School Enterprise Challenge awards programme runs from March–October 2017 with $50,000 in prizes on offer!
It is divided into three stages.
- In Stage 1, Students have 4 weeks to develop and submit a business idea for a school enterprise.
- In Stage 2, Students have 6 weeks to develop and submit a business plan for a school enterprise.
- In Stage 3: Students launch a school enterprise, get hands on business experience, and generate income to support either their school or a charitable cause of their choice! This stage lasts up to 4 months.
Students then submit a Final Report.
School businesses can be run in many different ways. Your school can decide which one suit you best, whether as an after-school club, at lunchtime, during lessons or at any other time that works for you. If you would like to incorporate the School Enterprise Challenge into your lessons, our guides and curriculum will help you to do it.
What is a School Enterprise?
A school enterprise is a business that is owned by a school but that is staffed and operated by the students that attend it. Enterprises should be sustainable, selling products or services on a consistent basis (i.e. not just at a one-off event) and at least part of the profits should be reinvested in the school’s educational activities or growing the business further.
What support does the School Enterprise Challenge Team provide?
The School Enterprise Challenge Team provides support to schools throughout the whole programme, from coming up with a business idea, to writing a business plan, all the way through to successfully running a school business!
Why should you participate?
It is FREE to join and this year the program is giving away approximately USD $50,000 worth of prizes, including:
- A top prize of $5,000 for the overall global winner.
- Three prizes of $2,000 for the People, Profit and Planet categories
- Multiple prizes of up to $2,000 for the Regional Winners.
- Business Growth and Primary school prizes up to $2000 each.
- Multiple smaller prizes for the best business idea!
- $2,000 for the ’Inspirational Teacher’ Award, with $1,000 for two runners up.
- A laptop for the ‘Enterprising Student’ Award and cameras for two runners up.
- Fully-funded places to our regional education conference.
Benefits of Participating
- Win great prizes including places at our international conference and cash prizes worth over $50,000.
- Gain global recognition as an entrepreneurial school.
- Raise extra income for your school.
- Become part of a global community of enterprising schools.
- Teach your students 21st Century skills-take learning out of the classroom and into the real world.
- Access easy to follow lesson plans and educational resources including our enterprise curriculum.
- Get great skills for your CV.
- Win one of our inspirational teacher prizes worth up to $2000.
- Experience running a real business.
- Learn workplace skills like problem-solving, communication and teamwork.
- Win one of our enterprising student prizes including laptops and cameras.
- Get great experience for your CV and university applications.
Deadline: runs from March–October 2017. From the date you register you will have one month to submit a business idea and get started with the programme. Please consider this schedule when you register formally online and register at a time that will best fit with the school calendar in your country.
How to Apply
- Register: Register online
- Download resources
- Create your business idea
- Launch your business
- Participate in our extra opportunities
- Write your business plan
- Submit your final report
- Finally celebrate your achievements and earn a school enterprise certificate
Register today and be part of this network of enterprising schools across the world! If you would like to learn more about the School Enterprise Challenge, CLICK HERE
To Register Online, CLICK HERE
We are very active on social media! Follow Us!
Don’t Want To Miss Any Social Change Happening Within Your Community And Around The World? Sign Up To Get Updates From Us!