4 Opportunities for Tech Entrepreneurs in Africa this quarter
TECHTRIBE ACCELERATOR 2019
TechTribe Accelerator has developed a seven-month online investment readiness accelerator, to get tech and IP driven ventures ready for expansion and funding.
Entrepreneurs that are focused on addressing the challenges highlighted by the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (poverty, education, healthcare, gender equality, food security, financial inclusion, energy, water, and other climate action, etc), have an important role to play in manifesting more equitable and resilient societies.
Application deadline: November 15, 2020
Open to: Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania and Zambia.
The accelerator will offer entrepreneurs support and equip them with the skills, knowledge and tools required to secure investment for their business.
The entrepreneur will undergo a structured learning journey which includes 9 modules:
- Understanding investment readiness;
- Building an impact model;
- Understanding the target market and developing the value proposition;
- Marketing, sales, distribution and partnerships;
- Financial model, including value chain analysis, cost structure and revenue streams;
- Growth strategy;
- Financial planning;
- Pitch development & readiness; and
- Writing an investment case to secure funding.
Tech businesses that meet the following criteria, are encouraged to apply:
Contribute towards addressing one or more of the Sustainable Development Goals;
- High growth potential;
- Multiple sectors and industries, such as: health; biotech/ PlantBio; energy; water; education; govtech; agriculture; mobility; smart cities; financial inclusion, and the broader green economy; amongst others; and
- Operate in one of the following countries: Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania and Zambia.
Click here to apply https://airtable.com/shrSwNbnZsALCM
Click here for more information https://www.techtribeaccelerator.com/pages/entrepreneurs
STANDARD CHARTERED WOMEN IN TECH INCUBATOR COHORT 3
The Standard Chartered Women in Technology Incubator Kenya is Africa’s leading women in tech incubator, aligning with calls for more diversity in technology and for more opportunities for women to develop entrepreneurial and leadership excellence. The program is an initiative of Standard Chartered in partnership with Strathmore University ‘s @iBizAfrica.
The program combines world class startup support with local and international experience to provide Africa’s most competitive and attractive startup incubation program focusing on immersive learning, mentorship, building and growing Africa’s next iconic startups taking on the continent’s most relevant challenges and opportunities.
Open to: Women in Kenya
Application deadline: November 5, 2019
We are seeking to recruit the best entrepreneurial minds, women-lead startup teams leveraging on technology as a key driver of innovation in business. The applicant must:
- be a woman
- be the CEO with equal or majority ownership in the company
- 18 and above
of Kenyan nationality
Applicants may submit applications across but not limited to the following thematic areas:
- Three months incubation at Strathmore University’s leading business and innovation incubator
- Mentorship from world class mentors
- Coaching by top business, technology and legal professionals
- Immersive, world-class entrepreneurship curriculum
- Networking and exposure to expand your business networks
- USD 10,000 or KES 1,000,000 equity-free grant seed funding for the top 5 winners
- 9 months ongoing support from Standard Chartered and @iBizAfrica to assist with go-to market and scale.
Click here to apply https://vc4a.com/ibizafrica/standard-chartered-women-in-tech-incubator-cohort-3/application/#c0
Click here for more information http://womenintech.co.ke/about
CHALLENGE FUND II
Do you have an innovative idea that will transform the tourism sector? Get the chance to prototype it in Benin.
The Sèmè City Development Agency (ADSC), in partnership with the World Bank and the National Agency for the Promotion of Heritage and the Development of Tourism (ANPT), is launching a new call for innovation with the Challenge Fund 2. This year, the goal is to connect innovative startups with local communities to improve tourism in Benin.
7 local communities in Benin will serve as prime prototyping locations for entrepreneurs to present their innovative ideas for the tourism experience of the future, while taking into consideration the challenges that these local communities face. Abomey, Cotonou, Porto-Novo, Grand Popo, Ouidah, Nikki and Natitingou will be your labs in this a win-win experiment.
Open to: Young entrepreneurs with an innovative project in the conception or prototyping phase for the tourism sector Small and Medium-sized Enterprises operating or not in the tourism sector.
Application deadline: October 14, 2019
Projects must stand out in the following areas :
- Impact on tourism attractiveness
- Social, economic and/or environmental impacts
- Financial sustainability
- Scalability and/or replicability
- Organizational leadership
- Financing capacity
- Shared value creation or public utility opportunities
Win Up to $ 250 000 in funding and access to the experts and resources of Incub’IMA, Sèmè City’s first incubator, powered by PwC.
Click here to apply https://challengefund.mysemecity.com/
Click here for more information https://www.mysemecity.com/challengefund/en/
TEXCHANGE 2020 HEATHCARE INNOVATION PROGRAMME
Since 2013, TeXchange, the flagship programme of the UK-Israel Tech Hub, has exposed British businesses to some of the world’s brightest innovators whilst opening the UK market to forward-thinking startups. Hundreds of UK companies and over 70 Israeli startups have participated in previous TeXchange activities, resulting in more than 20 signed UK-Israel business partnerships, with many more under negotiations.
We are calling for applications from healthtech startups in India, Kenya, South Africa and Nigeria to participate in an exciting network-wide programme ‘TeXchange 2020: Healthcare Innovation’, which will bring tech leaders together to exchange ideas, share learnings, and gain exposure to the UK market.
Open to: India, Nigeria, South Africa, and Kenya.
Application deadline: October 11, 2019
- TeXchange is an immersive three-day programme that offers participants direct access to the UK’s top healthcare corporate and government agencies through public events, meet-ups and presentations. Key stakeholders involved include healthcare startups, British healthcare companies, and leading UK service providers and intermediaries. We are currently securing our UK partners for 2020, including NHSX, Axa Insurance, Boots, Astrazeneca, Centrica, Pfizer, and LSX.
- One startup from each of these countries will be selected to join the Israel delegation to the UK in the first week of February 2020.
- The programme will focus on the following main areas: AI and big data in healthcare, early detection of diseases, population health, telemedicine, and diagnostics.
Click here to apply https://forms.gle/AR9YtKGqbVmXcYFC9
Click here for more information https://dcmsblog.uk/2019/09/applications-open-for-texchange-2020-healthcare-innovation/